Full time / Contract
UK Based Remote First / Hybrid
We’re currently looking to bring in a Senior UX Researcher to help shape Thunk’s research practice and deliver world class digital products and services.
As a Senior UX Researcher you will adopt qualitative and quantitative methods to help our partners understand the problem, learn about their customers, generate immersive and actionable insights, test ideas and guide the direction of their product or service. You’ll collaborate with and have opportunities to lead small multidisciplinary project teams and contribute to our business development through proposal-writing and pitches.
On a typical Thunk project you will
- Define the research approach and methods for projects such as initial discovery and ideation to design validation, taking into account the desired outcomes and clients needs.
- Prepare research protocols including tools, structure, interview guide and supporting materials
- Train and onboard team members and clients who will participate in research
- Lead interviews and other research activities
- Define the best method(s) for identifying themes, delivering insights, recommendations and presentations to influence and inspire product decisions and guide design
- Lead the ideation process building on research insights
- Prepare and perform product testing on prototypes and live products and provide insights on product improvement opportunities
- Provide coaching, tools, and guidelines to clients to help operationalise design research within their organisation
- Collaborate with Design & Product teams in understanding and quantifying the behavior, needs and goals of our client’s customers.
- Generate insights, recommendations and presentations to influence and inspire product decisions and designs.
- Work with other researchers to create strategic customer frameworks curated from individual research projects.
- Spearhead the use of innovative new research methods for the team.
What you bring
- 5+ years of professional UX research experience working at an agency, consultancy, in-house UR team or research firm (you might have had a title like “User researcher” or “Design researcher” or something similar)
- Have highly developed contemporary research skills and methodologies that can be demonstrated in your recent project. We’re talking things like (not necessarily all), ethnographic field studies, contextual inquiries, diary studies, survey design, qualitative and quantitative concept testing, card sorting, A/B testing, usability testing, benchmarking, competitive analysis, etc
- Can lead research and also collaborate in multidisciplinary teams to ensure Thunk’s design process results in the right experience for our partners
- Have a desire to create products and services that meet users functional and emotional needs
- A natural facilitator
- Can translate research findings into inspiring narratives with deep actionable insights that inform strategic and creative direction
- Have natural storytelling abilities.You’re confident in presenting and communicating research findings, insights, recommendations and methodology to peers, managers, directors and above to drive consensus and alignment
- Can lead a research project for digital experiences and products from informing feature prioritisation to spotting areas of friction and uncertainty in user flows
- Can talk business. You understand metrics, KPIs, business outcomes and company strategy
- Strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills
- No ego. You’re happy, fun, bright and you bring something of your personality to the Thunk table
It would be cool if you have
- BA/BS degree in Human-Computer Interaction(HCI), Human Factors, Psychology, Cognitive Science, Anthropology, Design, or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Familiarity with the theory and practice of Jobs to be Done
- A PDF, blog, online presence or similar where we can see your impact as a user researcher – we appreciate that not all researchers will have this but it’s nice for us to know who you are
Some extra info
We are open to full time permanent and contract roles.
We’re flexible and remote-first, we generally meet up one day a month in person. Our leadership team has families and we know that productivity occurs at different times of the day for most of us. However, our projects determine how and when we work – usually normal 9-5. In-person meetings and on-site workshops are back on the agenda where people feel comfortable.
Our interview process starts with an informal chat to find out about you, followed by one formal interview with a task thrown in to make sure you’re suited to Thunk. Don’t worry, it’s not free work!
Thunk is a big believer in creating a safe, diverse and inclusive workplace. We’re proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We don’t discriminate based on race, gender, ethnicity, citizenship, national origin of employees, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.