Full time / Contract
UK Based Remote First / Hybrid
A bit about Thunk
We are Thunk, a UK-based UX & digital product design company that supports businesses and teams in the design of world-class products and services. Our mission is to allow organisations to reap the benefits of becoming design-led, by creating and improving digital products and services.
Our customers include renowned brands (Twitter, NHS, Reed), undisclosed names (some big companies you haven’t heard of, yet!) and loads more coming on board in 2023.
We’re on a crazy journey right now. A young company making fast progress with huge ambitions. And we’re growing.
We’re currently looking to bring in a Senior UX Researcher to help shape Thunk’s research practice and deliver world class digital products and services.You will adopt qualitative and quantitative methods to help our partners understand the problem, learn about their customers, generate immersive and actionable insights, test ideas and guide the direction of their product or service. You will also help our clients mature their own design-led processes in-house, leaving them as confident design-led companies in the long term.
If you’re a passionate, innovative, and forward-thinking UX researcher who’s unafraid to look to the future and embrace possibilities without fear, then we want to hear from you. Join us at ‘Thunk’ and help us create world-class digital products and services that transform businesses into design-led organisations.
On a typical project you will:
- Define the research approach and methods for projects such as initial discovery and ideation to design validation, taking into account the desired outcomes and clients needs.
- Prepare research protocols including tools, structure, interview guide and supporting materials.
- Train and onboard team members and clients who will participate in research.
- Lead interviews and other research activities.
- Define the best method(s) for identifying themes, delivering insights, recommendations and presentations to influence and inspire product decisions and guide design
- Lead the ideation process building on research insights
- Prepare and perform product testing on prototypes and live products and provide insights on product improvement opportunities
- Provide coaching, tools, and guidelines to clients to help operationalise design research within their organisation
- Collaborate with Design & Product teams in understanding and quantifying the behavior, needs and goals of our client’s customers.
- Generate insights, recommendations and presentations to influence and inspire product decisions and designs.
- Work with other researchers to create strategic customer frameworks curated from individual research projects.
- Spearhead the use of innovative new research methods for the team.
What you bring:
- 5+ years of professional UX research experience working at an agency, consultancy, in-house UR team or research firm (you might have had a title like “User researcher” or “Design researcher” or something similar).
- Have highly developed contemporary research skills and methodologies that can be demonstrated in your recent project. We’re talking things like (not necessarily all), ethnographic field studies, contextual inquiries, diary studies, survey design, qualitative and quantitative concept testing, card sorting, A/B testing, usability testing, benchmarking, competitive analysis, etc.
- Can lead research and also collaborate in multidisciplinary teams to ensure Thunk’s design process results in the right experience for our partners.
- Have a desire to create products and services that meet users functional and emotional needs.
- A natural facilitator.
- Can translate research findings into inspiring narratives with deep actionable insights that inform strategic and creative direction.
- Have natural storytelling abilities.You’re confident in presenting and communicating research findings, insights, recommendations and methodology to peers, managers, directors and above to drive consensus and alignment.
- Can lead a research project for digital experiences and products from informing feature prioritisation to spotting areas of friction and uncertainty in user flows.
- Can talk business. You understand metrics, KPIs, business outcomes and company strategy.
- Strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
- No ego. You’re happy, fun, bright and you bring something of your personality to the Thunk table
Our team was founded by an ex-Google Product Designer and includes alumni from Samsung, EE, NHS, BBC, Yahoo. Everyone at Thunk brings something special. You could be just what we need.
Naturally curious, straight talking, flexible, brave, and fun loving!
When you become a Thunker, you realise that what we value is more than some fluffy words in a never-to-be-seen deck. Our culture is one where we treat each other and the businesses we work with with massive respect, honesty and decency.
- Everyone has an equal standing.
- Everyone is comfortable voicing their opinion.
- Everyone gives a sh*t.
We’re really proud of the culture we’re building at Thunk. One of self improvement, producing great work, being kind to yourself and other Thunkers, all whilst having fun doing it. We think our perks and benefits reflect what it’s like being one of us.
- Work wherever suits
- Flexible hours
- 25 days annual leave, plus UK bank holidays and your birthday off
- Flexible mental wellbeing leave
- Early Friday finish
- Thunk socials/retreats + weekly gaming nights
- £1000 Flexible benefit
- Some little extras throughout the year
For more detailed perks and benefits go here.
Thunk is for Everybody
Diversity and open expression are fundamental to us. We acknowledge the challenges in our industry, and strive to develop an inclusive culture where everybody can contribute. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for everyone, regardless of ethnicity, religion, colour, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, national origin, age, disability status or care-giver status. If for whatever reason you need us to make reasonable adjustments and adaptations to our recruitment process please let your recruiter know.