Freelance Product Designer
2 days per week (up to 3 months)
UK Based Remote (with occasional on-site meet ups)Apply on Workable
At Thunk, we design digital products and services the way our partners imagined they would be from the beginning. We’re here to reduce the complexity that digital brings and make the not so good, great. We’ve partnered with some well known respected companies like Twitter, Reed, NHS, Babylon Health, Avnet, Sensat to name a few.
We’re a young company making decent progress with huge ambitions on a crazy journey getting there. Our leadership team has been doing this for decades – our founder spent 10 years on Google’s various product design teams. As we grow, we’re looking to hire more like-minded Thunkers that sit across our design and research team.
We’re currently looking to bring in a Freelance Product Designer to help continue to create world class digital products and services for our partners. This particular role is working with a cool start-up for 2 days a week until the end of 2021, with a review for a possible extension. We’re looking for the ideal person to start immediately.
On this Thunk project you will:
- Understand business objectives and constraints, user needs and help define opportunity areas and experience requirements.
- Help prioritise opportunity areas and build feature backlogs to drive product roadmaps in collaboration with leadership, product and engineering.
- Work closely with the engineering team to deliver design specifications.
- Build upon an existing design system and heavily contribute to its evolution as the brand and product grow.
- Design user interfaces and prototypes to illustrate product behaviour along defined use cases.
- Use your range of design skills to shape the overall product experience for our client.
- Facilitate ideation and design sprint workshops.
Our expectations of you:
- 2+ years of professional design experience at an agency, consultancy, start-up or in-house UX / UI design team with strong examples of working on SaaS products and services (you might have had a title like “UX/UI Designer”, “Visual Designer” or something similar).
- Have developed design skills and a PDF, online portfolio or similar that highlights your impact as a designer.
- Experience in adopting existing design systems and then building on these collaboratively.
- Have a desire to create products and services across multiple channels, including web, mobile and native applications, that meet users functional and emotional needs.
- Have natural storytelling abilities. You’re confident in presenting and communicating design decisions to clients, managers, directors and above to drive consensus and alignment.
- Proficiency with contemporary design and prototyping tools and methods e.g Figma.
- Can talk business. You understand metrics, KPIs, business outcomes and company strategy.
- Proactive and can identify opportunities for product improvement and you’re not afraid to challenge the status quo.
- Comfortable working in a high paced startup where design and product development can be messy and fractured.
- Strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
- A desire to learn and grow your design skills on the job.
- Can go past the obvious, and push the boundaries of design.
- No ego. You’re happy, fun, bright and you bring something of your personality to the Thunk table.
It would be cool if you have:
- BA/BS degree in Human-Computer Interaction(HCI), Human Factors, Interaction Design, Visual Communications, or a related design or behavioural science discipline.
- You have led the design of SaaS solutions or experience leading design on a product or service.
Some extra info
This is a remote freelance role, 2 days a week for 3 months (approx). You must be based in the UK.
You can choose the days that work for you but there are some meetings which require your presence (Thursday mornings). The position is remote-first, however our client has started in-person meetings and on-site workshops at their London office, so you may be required to attend these.
Our interview process starts with an informal chat to find out about you, followed by one formal interview with a task thrown in to make sure you’re suited to Thunk. Don’t worry, it’s not free work!
Thunk is a big believer in creating a safe, diverse and inclusive workplace. We’re proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We don’t discriminate based on race, gender, ethnicity, citizenship, national origin of employees, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.